Thursday, November 5, 2009

dental DAMN!


The last several days have been, pretty much, spent inside Chloes mouth cavity. The prognosis: ECC - Early Childhood Caries... A.K.A. Bottle Rot... gross. Even though she's never used a bottle, other than for fun. I've been reading a lot about it and wishing a lot that I would have read the lot about it a lot sooner. There are/were things I could/should have done differently if I had known. Starting in the second trimester of her gestation I could have had more Calcium and Vitamin D. I could have given the Fluoride when it was prescribed. I could have taken her to see a dentist at the first sign of a tooth, instead of waiting till she had a full set. The important thing though, instead of blaming myself and wondering what should have happened is figuring out what to do now. The good news, I got just today, is that we can prevent this from happening to her adult teeth. I was concerned that this meant she would have problems her whole life, but I think we can take measures now to insure she's got a good start with those guys. The good, the bad, the gnarly. Things are going to get good in there. She has to be put all the way under for the procedure, which will be harder on us than her. We are going to do whatever it takes though to make it right. Poor baby teeth.

3 comments:

  1. oh sweetie, we've been there. our girl had the same thing and was only breast fed, too. more common than you think. she went under anesthesia and had full veneers put on her front two baby teeth (as well as molars filled) when she was around 20 months. all turned out well. she had a lovely smile and her big teeth are just fine.
    much love.
    lisa
    doorwaystraveler.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your child is so adorable!

    My sister is very paranoid about giving her kids bacteria via shared food or cutlery. She doesn't kiss them in the mouth or let anyone do that to them. But the other day she was freaking out that she might have found dental caries when she was checking on her boy. I'll tell her to take him to the dentist!

    I hope everything will be well taken care of for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, Thanks Ai! Yes, I've been telling all our friends with babies to see a dentist at the first sign. Everything will be fine soon, will keep everyone updated;)

    ReplyDelete

a penny for your thoughts?